One of the greatest wonders of nature is a reproduction. One of life’s greatest gifts to a couple is a child of their own. As such, if a couple is childless it is something that makes them despair & can be a frustrating experience. Infertility means inability to conceive (Attain Pregnancy), despite of regular unprotected sexual intercourse for more than 1 year. Women who can get pregnant but are unable to continue pregnancy may also be infertile.
Steps of Pregnancy :
- Ovulation: A women must release an egg from one of her ovaries. The egg must go through a Fallopian tube towards the uterus.
- Fertilization: A male sperm must unite with the egg in the tube.
- Implantation: The fertilized egg must get attached to the inside of the uterus. Any problem in any of these steps results in infertility. Females account for 1/3rd of infertility cases while males account for the same proportion. Rest of 1/3rd cases the causes remain unexplained.
- P.C.O.D [Poly-cystic Ovarian Disease]
- Anovulatory cycles.
- Fallopian Tube Block (Tubal Block).
- Uterine Fibroid
- Positive TORCH test.
- Bad Obstetric history- Recurrent Abortions
- Stress Factor- Depression or poor self esteem.
- infertility clinic in pcmc
1. P.C.O.D. POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN DISEASE OR SYNDROME SYMPTOMS :
The symptoms of P.C.O.D. vary widely from women to women. The Symptoms according to severity.
- Irregular or Completely absent Menses.
- Scanty Menses.
- Hirsutism– Excessive facial or body hairs due to high levels of male hormone i.e. testosterone.
- Obesity– Due to obesity chances of high B.P. increases which are risk factors for Coronary Heart Disease.
- Acne, Pimples.
- Dysfunctional uterine Bleeding.
- Alopecia- Male pattern hair loss.
- Skin Tags- Raisin like growths on the skin.
- Exhaustion or lack of mental alertness.
- Decreased sex life.
Different women have different symptoms with different levels of Severity.
2. ANOVULATORY CYCLES :
40% of total female infertility are caused by ovarian problems. In case of anovulatory cycles menstrual cycle is irregular but they are an-ovulatory, because of hormonal imbalance. Low levels of hormones i.e. Follicular stimulating hormones & Oestrogen are responsible for the growth and maturation of ovum is the cause of an anovulatory cycle which leads to infertility.
P.C.O.D. is a chronic stage of an-ovulatory cycle.
3. FALLOPIAN TUBE BLOCK (TUBAL BLOCK) :
The Fallopian tubes are two thin tubes, one on each side of the uterus, which helps to travels mature egg from ovaries to the uterus. If one or both Fallopian tubes are blocked, the egg can not reach the uterus and the sperm can not reach the egg, preventing fertilization & pregnancy.
Causes of Tubal Blockage :
P.I.D. — Most cases of tubal blockage is caused by Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (P.I.D.).
- PID is an inflammatory condition of the fallopian tubes called salpingitis & may also involve the ovaries called Oophoritis & pelvic peritoneum (Peritonitis)
- Current or history of an STD infection- Gonorrhea etc.
- History of uterine infection caused by an abortion or miscarriage.
- History of Ruptured Appendix or Pelvic Surgery.
- Previous Ectopic pregnancy.
- Prior surgery involving the fallopian tubes.
- Endometriosis- due to pelvic adhesions.
- History of abdominal surgery.
- Recurrent infections like UTI or Tuberculosis.
4. UTERINE FIBROIDS:
Uterine fibroid are benign tumors that originate in the uterus. They are composed of the same smooth muscle fibers as the uterine wall. i.e. myometrium.
- Most women with uterine fibroid have no symptoms.
- Abnormal uterine bleeding, heavy bleeding, painful menses, prolonged menses,
spotting between menses.
- Women with excessive bleeding due to fibroid may develop iron deficiency anemia.
- Pelvic Pain.
- Pressure on the bladder with frequent or even obstructed urination.
- Pressure on the rectum with pain during defecation.Usually size and location of uterine fibroid matters for infertility. Large size of uterine fibroid obstructs growth of fetus leading to abortion.
5. TORCH COMPLEX :
These are a group of Viral, bacterial & protozoan infections that are passed from pregnant women to her foetus via chronic villi of placenta.
To-Toxoplasmosis R-Rubella C-Cytomegalovirus H-Herpes Simplex Virus.
These infections can leads to habitual abortions & severe fetal anomalies. The prevalence of TORCH positivist in cases of infertility is significant & is a major cause of infertility.
6. ENDOMETRIOSIS :
The cells from the lining of uterus grow in other areas of the body. This can lead to pain, irregular bleeding & infertility.
- Painful menses..
- Cramps in menstruation.
- Pain during or following sexual intercourse.
- Pain with bowel movements.
- Low back pain during menses.
Endometriosis also leads to anatomical distortion & adhesions.
7. STRESS FACTOR :
‘Stress’ as a sole cause account for about 70% of infertility cases. In today’s life, physiological as well as psychological disturbances are very common, this is because the females are subjected to undue stress & strain due to their social & familial responsibilities.
- Negative cognitions.
- Constant worrying
- Anxious thoughts (Anxiety).
- Depression & mood fluctuations.
- Loss of sex drive or libido.
- Insomnia or sleeplessness.
Chronic stress promotes hormonal & metabolic changes in females that contributes to various health problems like P.C.O.D or Infertility.
Infertility in males is usually caused by
- Varicocele : This happens when the veins on the testicles are too large & tortuous causing increased thermal effect on the testicles. This effects the count & motility of the sperm.
- Decreased Motility :This may be caused by the abnormal shape of the sperm. Sometimes injuries or other damage to the reproductive system, effects the sperm motility.
- Heavy Alcohol Use.
- Erectile Dysfunction.
- Smoking, Tobacco chewing.
- Health problems such as Mumps, kidney Diseases, hormonal imbalance.
- Radiation treatment or Chemotherapy for Cancer.
- Environmental toxins including pesticides & lead.
Management of Infertility :
Treatment of infertility depends upon the cause of Infertility. Ayurvedic ‘Panchakarma’ treatment gives definite answer to the increasing question of infertility in the new era. Panchakarma therapy provides strength to the reproductive organs like Uterus, Ovaries, Fallopian tubes, Vagina in females & Testis in the males. Panchakarma therapy also maintains the hormonal balance.
The most potential ‘Panchakarma’ treatment in Infertility is ‘Uttarbasti’.
- Uttarbasti :
This is a treatment modality employed in case of infertile females which resembles IUI. In this procedure the women is injected with specially prepared Ayurvedic sterile Oil or Ghrut transvaginally. In case of female infertility the procedure is done before the period of ovulation i.e. 5, 6, 7th day of menses, in each cycle, for 3 to 6 consecutive cycles. In this procedure a sterile Ayurvedic oil or Ghrut is injected into the uterine cavity through the vagina under all aseptic precautions. No any type of anesthesia is required for this procedure. This is completely painless treatment.
Indications of Uttarbasti :
- An-Ovulatory Cycles.
- P.C.O.D or P.C.O.S.
- Fallopian Tubal Block.
- Irregular Menses.
- Uterine Fibroids.
- Cervical Polyp.
Benefits of Uttarbasti :
Uttarbasti maintains pH of Vagina [i.e. path of sperm] and uterine cavity which promotes rapid progress of sperm into uterus. It stimulates the ovary to increase quality of Ovum. The Uterus is lined by a special type of tissue known as endometrium. The procedure of Uttarbasti also nourishes the endometrium which helps for implantation of fertilized ovum.
Uttarbasti in Male’s :
In case of male Infertility sterile medicine is passed through urinary tract. It stimulates the prostate & Epidydimis. It also stimulates the process of spermatogenesis &formation of healthy spermatozoa.
- Male Infertility ‐ Oligospermia, – Asthenospermia.
- Prostate Enlargement.
- Neurogenic Bladder.
- Urethral Stricture.
- Incontinence of Urine.
OTHER PANCHKARMA THERAPY FOR INFERTILITY
This is a relaxation technique in which a stream of warm oil is held over a patient’s forehead for an extended period of time. There are specialized forms of ‘Shirodhara’ called Taildhara, Ksheeradhara, Takradhara, and Jaladhara.
Shirodhara works primarily on the mental sheath or ‘Menovaha Srotus’ as it is referred to in Ayurveda. Shirodhara is traditionally used to calm the nerves, harmonize vata constitutions, restore the nerves, release stored emotions & purify the mind. Stress is found to be the main factor in case of infertility. Especially the female facing problem of infertility undergoes tremendous pressure and stress. Which in turn increase the problem by balancing the hormonal levels. Shirodhara as it acts on the brain, maintains the hormones and provides positive energy to the patient.
Benefits of Shirodhara :
Regular Shirodhara enhances blood circulation to the brain, improves memory, nourishes hair & scalp provides sound sleep & calms the body & mind. Shirodhara is one of the most effective treatments for reducing stress & nervous tension.
- Ultimate mental & emotional relaxation therapy.
- This may be caused by the abnormal shape of the sperm. Sometimes injuries or other damage to the reproductive system effects the sperm motility.
- It repairs hormonal imbalance.
- Beneficial for many diseases connected with head, neck, eyes, ears, nose & throat.
- Beneficial for many diseases of the nervous system like nerve disorder, facial palsy, paralysis, ptosis (drooping) of eyelids.
- Beneficial for curing long-standing insomnia & schizophrenia.
- It improves digestion, sharpness of sense organs, quality of voice, strengths the neck & head region.
- Beneficial for fits in epilepsy, Cerebral Palsy.
- It improves the health of the skin.
- Prevents hair loss, premature graying & cracking of hair.
- It renews the sweetness of life.
- It is believed to open the third eye of Lord Shiva by this therapeutic marma based head massage.
- Regulates mood & depression.
- It improves concentration, intelligence, confidence and self esteem.
- Activates the Pituitary Gland, which controls all other glands in the body. E.g. Thyroid, Ovaries, Pancreas, Liver, Testis, Adrenal etc.
Shirodhara decreases negative electrical impulse in the brain & help to maintain hormonal balance.
Blending Old & New (Automatic Shirodhara Machine)
To make this Shirodhara really effective the medicated oil or decoction have to be poured on the forehead from constant height, with continues as a constant flow in a stream. The medicated oil or decoction must have a constant temp throughout the procedure. The procedure has to be continued for an extended period of time. For avoiding a human error, this tedious job has been automized. Now we can use automatic Shirodhara unit- ‘an integration of tradition with modern technology’.
infertility clinic in pcmc
Vaman is a cleansing procedure intended mainly for the expulsion of vitiated ‘Kapha’. This is a painless, drug induced emetic procedure, carried out mainly in the Vasant rhitu i.e. month of Feb. ,Mar. & April Months.
Vaman procedure purifies internal toxins. It acts inorder to protude a balance in hormonal system. Vaman acts on Thyroid gland. It stimulates the Pancreas also to secrete insulin in normal praportion decrease the chances of PCOD.
Vaman should be introduced in :
- Female Infertility : P.C.O.D, Anovulatory Cycles, Hypo or Hyperthyroidism, Uterine Fibroids.
- Male Infertility : Oligospermia, Asthenospermia etc.
- Diabetes, Anemia, Food Poisoning.
- Obesity, Epilepsy.
- Skin Diseases- Psoriasis, Acne, Vitiligo.
- Hyperacidity, Hypercholestremia.
It eliminates body toxins like vitiated ‘Pitta’. The process of cleansing is carried out in the small intestine & other Pitta zones. Here drugs that stimulate bowel movement are increased for the expulsion of doshas through rectum. It acts on hormones system like ‘Vaman Karma’.
It helps to Cure Diseases Like :
- Hyperacidity, Headache, Epitaxis.
- Skin Disease, Eczema, Psoriasis, Vitiligo, Urticaria, Leprosy, Elephantiasis, Recurrent Abscess.
- Hepatitis, Jaundice, Paralysis, Piles, Chronic Fever.
- Worms, Gout, Goiter, Anemia, Obesity.
- Burning of palm, sole, Eyes.
- Male Infertility- Oligospermia, Asthenospermia.
- Virechan karma aims to eliminate doshas from Kidney, Lungs, Sweat Glands which is otherwise not possible by ‘Vaman Karma.’
Enema of medicated oil or Decoration is given through Rectum. Vitiated “Vata” can create various health problems. Basti releases obstructions in the way of Vata dosha and thus regulates the normal phenomenon of “Vata”. Different types of medicated Oils, Ghruta, milk or decorations are used for Basti treatment. It can state miracles if administered in a proper way with appropriate medicines. Basti procedure eliminates the doshas from rectum. It balances the “Vata” Dosha. Apana Vayu is the type of “Vata Dosha”, which controls on the Shukra Dhatu (Semen) in males & Aartava (Ovum) in females. “Apan Vayu” controls the reproductive system. The procedure “Basti” regulates Apan Vayu which improves quality of Semen & Ovum.In females oil Basti of “Sahachar Tail” improves quality of ovulation within normal days. In males the Basti procedure improves quality & quantity of Semen i.e. it improves total sperm count and motility of Semen.
Benefits of Basti :
- Female Infertility : Irregular Menses, Dysmenorrhea, P.C.O.D. Fallopian Tubal Block.
- Male Infertility : Erectile Dysfunction, Libido, Decreased Motility etc.
- Chronic constipation, Irregular Bowel Habits.
- Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Paralysis, Joint Pains, Tingling and numbness.
- Spondylosis, Spondylitis, Slip disc etc.
- Purpose of weight gain or loss, kidney stone, Epilepsy.
- Secretions in the colon are promoted by Basti Karma, there by insuring a good health. It increases colonic Peristalsis, producing rapid elimination of the stool.
In this specialized Panchakarma treatment, little amount of blood is removed from the body. Vitiated “Pitta” creates various diseases through blood. Because Blood (Rakta Dhatu) is the main carrier of pitta dosha.Raktamokshan relieves the severity of the disease which further can be treated with Ayurvedic medicines.
Raktamokshan is done mainly in different methods / ways like “Leech therapy”, Blood letting with disposable needle with syringe.
- skin diseases like Leucoderma, Psoriasis, Acne, Urticaria, and Leprosy.
- Jaundice, herpes Zoster, Varicose Veins.
- Trigeminal Neuralgia, Migraine.
- Enlargement of Liver, Spleen.
- Varicose Veins.
- Acute Appendicitis.
Nostril is considered as the pathway of brain. Nasya means administration of medicines through the nostrils. Medicated oils, Ghruta, Decoction, are installed into nostrils for various diseases. It also acts on Hormonal system like Thyroid & Pituitary Gland.
Benefits of Nasya :
- Deviated nasal septum, Allergic Rhinitis.
- Sinusitis, Migraine, vertigo, Hair loss, early greying of hair.
- Insomnia, Paralysis, Facial Palsy, Parkinsonism.
- Loss of sense of smell.
- Improves memory.
- Diseases related with Head, Eyes and Nose.
- Frozen shoulder, Locked Jaw.
It is a well known massage treatment. Body massage is the best option for complete physical and mental relaxation. It increases blood circulation. Different oils are used for massage in various conditions.
- Relieves from stress, anxiety.
- For dry skin.
- Paralysis, Facial Palsy.
- Myopathy, Muscular Dystrophy.
- Spondylosis, Lumbar Pain.
- Anti aging treatment.
- Strengthen skin, Increases the body strength.
It means medicated steam is given to body. It reduces pain as well as stiffness. For Panchakarma therapy like Vaman & Virechan, Swedan is used as pre procedure.
- Vata prominent diseases like Arthritis, Joint Pains.
- Common cold, Laryngitis, Pharyngitis, Tonsillitis.
- Hic cough, Asthma.
- Heaviness of body.
- Paralysis, Cerebral palsy, nerve disorders.
- Myopathy &ndash Muscle Atrophy, Contracture of Joints.
- Locked Jaw, Sciatica.
A beneficial Ayurvedic foot massage in which foot is massaged with medicated Ghee with special grip techniques. The treatment has a calming & balancing effect on a variety of disturbances of the autonomic nervous system.
- Helps to calm the mind.
- Helps maintain eyesight & hearing.
- Promotes quality sleep.
- Improves peripheral circulation.
- Spondylosis, Spondylitis, Slip disc etc.
- Maintains foot health. (It eliminates dryness, crack heels, numbness, over sensitivity of the feet.
- Helps to prevent sciatica, Migraine, Burning of eyes.
- Helps to calm and maintain the “Vata Dosha”.
- Helpful in heel pain, Cracks in the feet.
Placing hot metal stick (Shalala) on a specific point for a very short period.
Agnikarma is described by ‘sushruta’ , is an effective treatment in management of musculoskeletal pain.
Frozen shoulder, Locked jaw, Muscular pain, stiffness in joints, warts and calcaneal spur,recurrent corn.
Keeping warm medicated oil on the lumbar region for some specific period.
- Spinal disorders like ‐ Lumbar Pain,slip disc , spodylasiss & disc prolapse.
- Backache – muscular pain.